Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hearts, Hands and House!

Greetings...Hidey Ho my dear blogging readers and friends! I was shocked this morning, when I looked at the calendar in my office, it is the 18th of August!!! My oh my where have the last few weeks gone??? Anyway, I wanted to post before now, but alas, better now then later, right?

Weather...Mother Nature has given us a small break in the extreme humidity...dew points have been down in the 60's rather then the 70's, which makes the low 90's at least more bearable. But now we need rain, not exactly in the drought zone yet, but it won't be long until we will. Grass is burning, ugh...hoping for some rain by week's end. My tomatoes are doing wonderfully, won't be long until I have a large enough crop to do some canning. Also the flowers are finally looking good, I had a time with the ones in the front flower beds, but they are thriving now. I want to wait a few more weeks, since the heat is so extreme to get some mums and plant them.I am so looking forward to Autumn!

Stitching...I have been stitching, well trying to everyday as usual and I do have a few stitchey pics to share with you! This is an unfinished exchange I did for a friend (Robin no blog). It is a complimentary design by Hands to Work and is titled Heart and Hand. I left off the bottom rows of alphabet.

All pictures are clickable to enlarge!



Hands to Work Heart and Hand
40 ct Lakeside Vintage Light Examplar
Belle Soie Mer Bleu with Poison Apple (for heart) Silks


Also some small progress on Sunflower House...
Blackbird Designs Sunflower House Loose Feathers #9
Stitched on 32 ct R&R
Recommended overdyeds GAST

I do have an ornament started and almost finished, but alas, it will just have to wait until next post to share with you!
Small Collection: I know that many of you have heard of or probably own a few pieces of FireKing...anyway, I had gotten a couple square containers with lids, in the Fire King pattern from my mother. I think she had them since they were brand new. Of course I always loved them as a child, thought they were so neat, especially with all of that intricate work on the glass. Anyway I recently found a cake pan and a pie plate. Also found a loaf pan, but don't think I have a picture of it. Here is the piepan and cake pan:



Wish you could see them better, it is hard to get pictures to show up all of the intricate patterns in the glass! I was happy to find these pieces. I need to take pics of my square lidded fire king dishes soon and show you.

Also I found this dish several months ago and once again the etchings in the glass aren't clear. I have no idea when it was made, nor by who, but it came home with me, because I knew that my Allie Bug would love it some day. The inside of the dish has a picture of Bo Peep with her sheep, and the outer edges of the dish have the alphabet going around! Love this dish, if anyone has any information about it, I would love to hear from you! I don't care whether it has any monetary value, I just think it is adorable and will be a great keepsake for my granddaughter! Would love to have information on the manufacturer, etc, though, thanks!

That is about all that is going on in my neck of the woods! Hope that you are doing something that you enjoy and taking each new day as it comes and enjoying it to the fullest!! I appreciate you visiting and reading through my post and leaving a comment! Your kind words make my day and I look so forward to hearing from each of you, thank you!

Be sure and have some stitchey fun today!

Love, Jan

28 comments:

Catherine said...

Lovely stitches!! I love those dishes. I have a pie pan and love it!

Cathy B said...

Hi Jan -

Lovely stitching - I think I need to pull out that Hands to Work freebie now!

We finally got a break from our hot and humid temperatures. Yesterday was a gorgeous day; today we are expecting rain - but at least it is cool!

Enjoy your day and keep on stitching!

Margaret said...

I love your Hands to Work finish and your BBD WIP. Both are beautiful! We have a bit of a break in the heat as well. I wish it would keep up!

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for my Heart and Hand piece! It is just beautiful and hope you know how much I love it! Your Blackbird WIP is very pretty!

Love your dishes!

Robin

Beth said...

I am a big, big fan of peacock motifs and I especially like your Hands to Work piece - very pretty!

Mylene said...

What lovely dishes and great designs you are working on. Progress are looking beautiful!!

Ranae said...

Love the blue in the awesome finish.
I love Sunflowwer House, looking great.

valerie said...

Beautiful finish! How in the world did I miss out on this freebie!? Beautiful exchange for Robin. Your Sunflower House is coming along nicely as well!

Lynn said...

That wish for autumn to arrive seems to be a refrain that I'm hearing from many people after such a scorching summer.
I love both of your stitching pieces. The sunflower house seems appropriate for this time of year.

Unknown said...

Your stitching is beautiful. Love those pretty dishes. I remember them at my grandmother's house.

Melissa said...

Lovely stitching, Jan! The BBD piece is perfect for summer. The Hands to Work piece is gorgeous. I will have to check to see if I can find it somewhere!

Vinniey said...

Your finished on Hands to Work Heart and Hand is looking great, Jan. Great progress on Sunflower House too.

Lois said...

Lovely stitching Jan! I love that Hands to Work freebie, I've never come across it before. Guess I need to go do some searching!! Nice purchases, Fire King is new to me so I was interested to read about it. Glad to hear that some of that heat has broken.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

I love your Hands to Work finish and your BBD WIP is really pretty, Jan! I stitched that HtW piece for my mom a couple of years ago and really love it.

Great glassware! I have so many dishes and pieces of glassware that it is ridiculous! Can't help myself!

Brigitte said...

Oh, I love your Hands To Work finish. It's stitched with such a lovely colour. And some nice progress on Sunflower House, which is one of my favourite Loose Feathers.
I hope you will soon get the much needed rain.

Carol said...

If you get the needed rain, please send it east, too, Jan! Things are drier than a bone here in PA...

I LOVE your Hands to Work sampler--blue is my favorite color so this is especially appealing. And, you know how much I love sunflowers (after my blog posting this week!) so your BBD is one I'm happy to see in progress :)

Natasha said...

Beautiful stitching! I love the blue silk you used for the HtW piece. And Sunflower House looks so cheery :)

I am a sucker for glass dishes and such but I have limited cabinet space, the downside of renting an apartment :( I love intersting dishes and pieces that dont match :)

Take Care and happy stitches

Shari said...

everything looks great!!! I somehow 'misplaced' your blog, but it is now found, so I can keep up!!!!
When is the baby due!?!?!?

Sherry said...

We have had plenty of rain and with it comes humidity! We need a break from it! Your stitching projects are wonderful! Lucky finds on the Fire King. I love nice heavy glass pieces like these.

Karoline said...

Lovely stitching Jan, especially the Hands to Work freebie

woolwoman said...

Dear Jan - I am so glad to see you around blog land more and thanks for your kind comments on my blog.
I LOVE your HTW exchange - I know Robin will treasure it and your color selection is so pretty. I've never seen that freebie either and would love to have it. the BBD piece is coming along and beautiful warm colors. I love glass too - my mom has an extensive collection of pink depression glass which we adore and treasure. Hugs to you - Mel

marylin & poussy said...

Hi your embroidery in blue is magnificent! I like very much your style
Embroiderer's best regards

Littlebit said...

Jan, the little sampler is just beautiful. I love the color. And the BBD piece.
I believe my husband's grandmother gave me an identical pie dish--same design on bottom--which I have given to Paulette, since she is the pie maker in the family. I love glass dishes!

Nancy said...

The piece you are stitching for your friend Robin is so pretty! I love how the red heart stands out from the pretty shade of blue! And, your Sunflower House is looking gorgeous! I always say a little progress is better than no progress.

Your Fire King pieces are lovely. I just love vintage! They don't make things like they used to, do they?

MyLifesAStitch said...

Love the finish! It's such a nice pattern!

I've never heard of the Fire King pattern... from what I see here my wallet is going to wish I still had never heard of it, lol!! :)

I'm with ya on Autumn... I cannot WAIT!!! I am so done with this heat! My flowers this year are really struggling to survive in spite of the TLC I attempt to give them.

Siobhán said...

I love that H2W freebie! You did a great job on it, Jan! Love your BBD, too. I've never seen those dishes before but I'm a sucker for pottery or glassware. Great finds!

Patty C. said...

Your Sunflower House is beautiful :)

Mary said...

I love Heart and Hand! The colors are great and the vintage buttons add the perfect touch!